Incorporated in the Republic of Singapore
Company Registration No: 198303359D
Creative Subsidiary ZiiLabs Files Patent Infringement Lawsuit Against Samsung and Apple
Creative Technology Ltd (“Creative”) today announced that its wholly owned subsidiary ZiiLabs Inc., Ltd (“ZiiLabs”) filed a patent infringement lawsuit (“the lawsuit”) in the United States against Samsung and Apple.
The ZiiLabs press release on the lawsuit is attached.
The lawsuit is not expected to have any material impact on the net tangible assets and earnings per share of Creative for the current financial year.
Ng Keh Long
11 March 2014
SINGAPORE – 11 March 2014 – ZiiLabs Inc., Ltd. (“ZiiLabs”) today announced that it filed a patent infringement lawsuit (“the lawsuit”) in the United States against Samsung and Apple. The lawsuit alleges that certain products of Samsung (including various Galaxy phones and tablets, and laptops) and Apple (including various ranges of the iPhone and iPad, iMac and MacBook Pro) infringe a number of ZiiLabs patents.
ZiiLabs owns over 100 US patents in the graphics, processor and 3D spaces. Ten of these patents have been asserted in the lawsuit, in which ZiiLabs is claiming past and future damages for patent infringement, and injunctions against Samsung and Apple. The lawsuit was filed on 10 March 2014 in the Eastern District of Texas. The patents being asserted are:
- US 5,831,637 Video Stream Data Mixing for 3D Graphics Systems
- US 5,835,096 Rendering System Using 3D Texture-Processing Hardware for Accelerated 2D Rendering
- US 6,111,584 Rendering System with Mini-Patch Retrieval from Local Texture Storage
- US 6,650,333 Multi-Pool Texture Memory Management
- US 6,683,615 Doubly-Virtualized Texture Memory
- US 6,977,649 3D Graphics Rendering with Selective Read Suspend
- US 7,050,061 Autonomous Address Translation in Graphic Subsystem
- US 7,187,383 Yield Enhancement of Complex Chips
- US 7,710,425 Graphic Memory Management with Invisible Hardware-Managed Page Faulting
- US 8,144,156 Sequencer with Async SIMD Array
ZiiLabs (formerly known as 3DLabs Inc., Ltd.) is a pioneer in 3D graphics, and a leader in media-rich application processors, advanced software and enabling hardware platforms. Over the past 20 years, its innovative products have enabled OEMs, ODMs, System Integrators and Software Developers to deliver industry-leading devices across a broad range of consumer electronics and embedded markets.
In November 2012, it had been announced that Intel had taken a license to ZiiLabs’ patents and technology.
The law firms Heim, Payne and Chorush (“HPC”) and Susman Godfrey (“SG”) act for ZiiLabs in the lawsuit. HPC is a Texas-based law firm specializing in complex patent litigation. Attorneys representing ZiiLabs include Michael Heim, Doug Wilson and Blaine Larson. SG is a leading US commercial litigation firm, with offices in Houston, Dallas, Seattle, Los Angeles and New York. SG attorneys Steve Susman, Max Tribble and Kalpana Srinivasan represent ZiiLabs.
ZiiLabs Inc., Ltd.