- Announced the shipment of the computer industry's first complete desktop theater system - Creative PC-DVD Encore 5X and Cambridge SoundWorks DeskTop Theater 5.1 - for the PC.
- Launched Sound Blaster® Live!, the revolutionary new PCI audio solution that incorporates the superior surround-sound rendering of Environmental Audio to deliver real audio experience that goes beyond Hollywood quality audio and offers unprecedented immersive audio.
- Unveiled Sound Blaster® PCI128 and PCWorks FourPointSurround - the first complete audio system for multi-channel surround sound - at a highly attractive price.
- HansVision Future 2000 is an Internet-enabled bilingual software program that comprises a Chinese word processor (HansWord), an English/Chinese two-way dictionary (HansBrowser) and an online translator of webpages from English to Chinese (HanSight). The advanced software package was deployed in all schools in Singapore from July 1998.
- At Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 1998 in Atlanta, Creative announced that top developers including Accolade, Bungie, GT Interactive's Epic MegaGames/Digital Extremes and Fox Interactive have signed up to support Creative's Environmental Audio Extensions. This was the latest applications programming interface (API) that allows developers to optimize their newest games to use the features in Creative's next-generation Environmental Audio platform.
- Creative acquired Silicon Engineering, Inc., a key innovator in the design and development of integrated circuits for the multimedia, storage and communications markets.
- Consolidated its China operations at the main Beijing office under Creative Future Computer.
- Launched Video Blaster® WebCam II digital color camera for the desktop that comes with features and productivity software that can enhance Internet experience such as jazz up a personal website, send a video greeting card or visit long distance friend.
- Acquired the NetMedia group from OPTi, Inc to form a new subsidiary Ectiva Inc., which works closely with Creative's R&D department on developing new audio technologies.